***Have-At-It Never-Ending Gabfest***

This is where everything is happening in real time!!!!
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

svca wrote:Wow, that dress is gorgeous....you'll look like a princess.

Me, I'd have to lose about 100 lbs to fit into that ::laughing::

Thanks for clarifying the wedding confusion ::huggy::
I lost 40 pounds since October!!!! ::grin::
"It is what it is!"
svca

Post by svca »

madamimadam wrote:
svca wrote:Wow, that dress is gorgeous....you'll look like a princess.

Me, I'd have to lose about 100 lbs to fit into that ::laughing::

Thanks for clarifying the wedding confusion ::huggy::
I lost 40 pounds since October!!!! ::grin::

::nanananana:: ::nanananana:: ::nanananana::
svca

Post by svca »

Lol, just teasing you, Marie....I think that's awesome !! ::hugkissblush:: ::hugkissblush::

This last year has been so stressful for me, I can't even think about dieting....that would just add one more stress. I'm getting laid off the end of September, after 25 years with this co. They're slowly closing down the business, and it makes me incredibly sad. I've loved this job so much. ::crying:: ::crying::

For the last year I've seen many of my coworkers leaving, and the place is a ghost town these days. I'm not a person that handles changes well anyway, but almost every day has seen one change or another....it's so sad.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

svca wrote:Lol, just teasing you, Marie....I think that's awesome !! ::hugkissblush:: ::hugkissblush::

This last year has been so stressful for me, I can't even think about dieting....that would just add one more stress. I'm getting laid off the end of September, after 25 years with this co. They're slowly closing down the business, and it makes me incredibly sad. I've loved this job so much. ::crying:: ::crying::

For the last year I've seen many of my coworkers leaving, and the place is a ghost town these days. I'm not a person that handles changes well anyway, but almost every day has seen one change or another....it's so sad.
I'm so sorry, honey!!!! I like 'routine' too... Odd events throw me for a loop, so I get how you feel....

::hugkissblush::
"It is what it is!"
svca

Post by svca »

Thanks, Marie...I don't know what I'm going to do with myself...I've been working since I was about 17. But I told hubby I don't want to turn right around and look for another job...I'm almost 60 and the idea of resumes, interviews, etc. just gives me hives. I've had exactly 4 jobs since I was 17, and I've never had to turn in a resume....they've always been by word of mouth.

I'm getting too old for this crap lol ::thumbdown::
WitchyWoman

Post by WitchyWoman »

svca wrote:Thanks, Marie...I don't know what I'm going to do with myself...I've been working since I was about 17. But I told hubby I don't want to turn right around and look for another job...I'm almost 60 and the idea of resumes, interviews, etc. just gives me hives. I've had exactly 4 jobs since I was 17, and I've never had to turn in a resume....they've always been by word of mouth.

If you can swing it, retirement is awesome! You'll wonder how you ever had time to work a full-time job!
donnamb

Post by donnamb »

svca wrote:Thanks, Marie...I don't know what I'm going to do with myself...I've been working since I was about 17. But I told hubby I don't want to turn right around and look for another job...I'm almost 60 and the idea of resumes, interviews, etc. just gives me hives. I've had exactly 4 jobs since I was 17, and I've never had to turn in a resume....they've always been by word of mouth.

I can appreciate your concerns. I'm 63, and my job as an a
ttorney involves a 60 minute commute each way to the office, and there are frequent night meetings even further away. I have the distinct feeling that I'm not going to advance any further and that emphasis on new hires will be for the young males. I'm hoping to hang in until 65, get eligible for Medicare health insurance, 66 to get Social Security, and find something thereafter to remain "employed" but not having a wretched commute.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

Soooooo.... the Bridal Shower was on Sunday. It was lovely! About 30 of us and an incredible camaraderie was forged from the very beginning although most of us didn't know each other.

However, me being me, it would have to have more of a story than that, right? Well, it does. An hour before leaving for the shower, I wrote the little card attached to the bottle bag, picked up the bottle of wine, dropped it into the bag and proceeded to drop the bag on my toe which actually broke the bottle! MY TOE broke the bottle!

I had a full car of people to bring to the shower and managed to drive since it hit my left toe which was turning blue by then...

After the shower and having dropped off all my peeps, I went home and started icing it.

I was in total agony, didn't sleep the whole night, and went to my doc at 8:30 Monday morning. He told me to get my ass to the hospital because it was definitely broken.

My son took me and indeed my toe is broken in two places. Not much to be done about it. The fractures are not 'dislocated' so they will fuse back together on their own... They gave me preventative antibiotics and some serious pain meds... I've been sleeping most of the time for the last two days.

There is no way I'll be able to wear my heels for the whole night at the wedding (August 18th) and my dress is already hemmed, so, being the eternal problem solver, I bought myself some platform sneakers that give me the same height as the heeled shoes - 3 inches.

The doc says the pain should start subsiding by the weekend which is a good thing because we have a pre-wedding 'family day' in the mountains this Saturday....

When I was 10 years old, I kicked my mother in the shin and broke my second toe. I never told her (although she had to know since I was limping pretty badly). I knew if I complained she would tell me: "Good! God punished you for kicking me!"

Ten days ago, I went for dinner with my son, his future wife and her mother. I regaled them with stories about Eddie, including how he was such a klutz and that for both of my sons barmitzvahs he had to wear make up to hide injuries. The first time, the photographer had taken my boys to the park to get some pics and he fell off a ladder and ended up with a huge 'egg' on his forehead. The second time (for his own bar), they had a fun day at school where you climb a wall while wearing velcro gloves, knee pads, etc... and then you push off and land on an air mattress... He slid along the mattress and scraped his entire cheek!

So at dinner, 10 days ago, we had a good laugh...

So all that being said, I know that my mom is up in heaven, laughing her ass off and saying: "God punished you for making fun of your son!" ::crylaugh::

These are my platform sneakers...

https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/en-ca/s ... pe=REGULAR
"It is what it is!"
WitchyWoman

Post by WitchyWoman »

madamimadam wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:30 am Soooooo.... the Bridal Shower was on Sunday. It was lovely! About 30 of us and an incredible camaraderie was forged from the very beginning although most of us didn't know each other.

However, me being me, it would have to have more of a story than that, right? Well, it does. An hour before leaving for the shower, I wrote the little card attached to the bottle bag, picked up the bottle of wine, dropped it into the bag and proceeded to drop the bag on my toe which actually broke the bottle! MY TOE broke the bottle!

I had a full car of people to bring to the shower and managed to drive since it hit my left toe which was turning blue by then...

After the shower and having dropped off all my peeps, I went home and started icing it.

I was in total agony, didn't sleep the whole night, and went to my doc at 8:30 Monday morning. He told me to get my ass to the hospital because it was definitely broken.

My son took me and indeed my toe is broken in two places. Not much to be done about it. The fractures are not 'dislocated' so they will fuse back together on their own... They gave me preventative antibiotics and some serious pain meds... I've been sleeping most of the time for the last two days.

There is no way I'll be able to wear my heels for the whole night at the wedding (August 18th) and my dress is already hemmed, so, being the eternal problem solver, I bought myself some platform sneakers that give me the same height as the heeled shoes - 3 inches.

The doc says the pain should start subsiding by the weekend which is a good thing because we have a pre-wedding 'family day' in the mountains this Saturday....

When I was 10 years old, I kicked my mother in the shin and broke my second toe. I never told her (although she had to know since I was limping pretty badly). I knew if I complained she would tell me: "Good! God punished you for kicking me!"

Ten days ago, I went for dinner with my son, his future wife and her mother. I regaled them with stories about Eddie, including how he was such a klutz and that for both of my sons barmitzvahs he had to wear make up to hide injuries. The first time, the photographer had taken my boys to the park to get some pics and he fell off a ladder and ended up with a huge 'egg' on his forehead. The second time (for his own bar), they had a fun day at school where you climb a wall while wearing velcro gloves, knee pads, etc... and then you push off and land on an air mattress... He slid along the mattress and scraped his entire cheek!

So at dinner, 10 days ago, we had a good laugh...

So all that being said, I know that my mom is up in heaven, laughing her ass off and saying: "God punished you for making fun of your son!" ::crylaugh::

These are my platform sneakers...

https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/en-ca/s ... pe=REGULAR
You are a born storyteller! I LOVE the platform sneakers! They are going to look awesome with that dress! You're going to be the coolest mom! ::thumbsup:: ::wub::
svca

Post by svca »

OMG, Marie, you must be my long-lost sister...I'm a total klutz. Hubby always tells me I could trip over air while walking.

Sorry about your toe, but love your new shoes. Those are some Adam-style shoes, missy.

::hugkissblush:: ::hugkissblush::

Hope your toe feels better. Might I suggest some bubble wrap until the actual day of the wedding??? ::grin:: ::grin::
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

svca wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:58 pm OMG, Marie, you must be my long-lost sister...I'm a total klutz. Hubby always tells me I could trip over air while walking.

Sorry about your toe, but love your new shoes. Those are some Adam-style shoes, missy.

Hope your toe feels better. Might I suggest some bubble wrap until the actual day of the wedding??? ::grin:: ::grin::
I'm thinking more of a padded cell! ::icant::
"It is what it is!"
Tiki
MTT Mod
MTT Mod

Post by Tiki »

madamimadam wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:12 pm
svca wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:58 pm OMG, Marie, you must be my long-lost sister...I'm a total klutz. Hubby always tells me I could trip over air while walking.

I'm thinking more of a padded cell! ::icant::

Ya..hoo! Finally able to log in with the computer. I know I shouldn't laugh but your story is hilarious except of course for your broken toe. ::huggy:: Am sorry to hear that happening what with the wedding so close, but love your shoes. They look so comfy. Now about that padded cell...lol...make sure it is really, really well padded. ::grin::
Tiki
MTT Mod
MTT Mod

Post by Tiki »

svca wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:27 pm Thanks, Marie...I don't know what I'm going to do with myself...I've been working since I was about 17. But I told hubby I don't want to turn right around and look for another job...I'm almost 60 and the idea of resumes, interviews, etc. just gives me hives. I've had exactly 4 jobs since I was 17, and I've never had to turn in a resume....they've always been by word of mouth.

I'm so sorry to hear this svca! I know what you are going through as this happened to me at 60 . It was really scary for me having to start all over. I was the same as you word of mouth for getting a job. Unfortunately that didn't happen after the last job. It was also bad timing, since a lot of places were downsizing or closing and of course one look at me and I was of course too old. They just didn't want older people. I managed to get thru the 2 years with unemployment and severence but finally had to sell my home, pay off the mtge and move into an apartment. I searched for almost 3 years for anything available, but still had no luck. The worry finally took a toll on my health and I had to give up looking. With what was left of the money from the house sale, and I still don't know how I did it, I was able to get thru the rest of the time until I was able to collect my pensions & supplements. The good news was I didn't have to worry anymore where the money was going to come from. Still have to been careful though. That will never change unless I win a lottery and I have my doubts about that. ::haha:: Anyway, I have found the time just flies and I have so much on the go that, I often wonder how I did all the things I did while working and still had time to relax. Now it's trying to find time to relax. But definitely not complaining. ::smile:: If you should choose to retire...enjoy every moment of it as time certainly goes faster than when working. ::grin:: And I wish you all the best should you decide to look for another job. ::yes::
Mszue

Post by Mszue »

Madamimadam....lol the toe story. I have a funny toe story also!

A few years back, I was partying at a big Calgary Stampede hay ride...horse pulled hay wagon and all. I was sauntering out to said hay wagon, wine in hand. when everyone yelled there was room for one more. I passed up my glass and grabbed someones hand as they hauled me up onto the wagon at just the moment the driver chose to get the ride started. When the horses hit the road, the road hit me...I toppled backwards off the wagon and my boots...thank goodness for cowboy boots...smacked the edge of the wagon on the way down. The fall took my breath away so I just lay there stunned until it returned...as most of the 200 odd guests, the driver and wagonneers, and panicked ranch owners all rushed to stare at me and try to determine if I were alive and more importantly, if I could move my legs.

I could do both so a few strong men carried me on a chair like a litter and planted me on the big verandah. They immediately took the boot off so I could expand and I sucked another wine back. After a few more wine, I decided it was not that bad, worked my boot back on and gingerly continued dancing. The next morning I was black the entire circumference of my foot!!

Did I mention I was a hairstylist? So I just stood on my good foot and hobbled about until after a week and a half I figured I should likely see a Dr. My regular Dr. was on vacation so I saw a new, British Dr. He x-rayed my toe and told me there was not likely much to be done but it was good to know. I had figured this all along which was why I did not immediately go in, anyway. Well the funny part [other than my falling on my keester in front of over 200 peeps] was the message this Dr. left on my answering machine. I kid you not, he said: "Ms Sheane, as we deduced, you do indeed have a fracture of the Great Toe, and indeed, we cannot do anything about it". He spoke slowly and enunciated each and every consonant! I saved that message for such a long time. Who knew it was a "Great Toe"! That was a tough summer lol. My Stampede celebrating was severely truncated as well.

I live on a little BC island now so Calgary and all that tom-foolery, and especially cowboy boots, are of another era.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

I love your story and am happy to welcome you and The Great Toe to our board! ::crylaugh::
"It is what it is!"
svca

Post by svca »

Mszue, can I come and live with you on your little island? Getting away from the US for just a little bit sounds like heaven.

Between the orange one and my job I'm going to give myself an ulcer. ::angry::

I miss being able to rant and rave to my Mom. She's 77 and I've given up being able to talk to her. I called her a couple of weeks ago and mentioned being stressed, and she asked why?? She says "you're never stressed" "what do you have to be stressed about"? She knows I hate the orange one, and that I'm losing my job, but apparently forgot or didn't connect the 2 as reasons for stress? Not quite sure, but she's come to a point where, unless it involves her very limited little world, it doesn't register. Sigh...she used to be my confidant, pretty much my best friend, but that time has gone. She complains about the grandkids not calling her, then when my daughter calls her from Japan, she tries to get her off the phone, quickly...because she just doesn't know what to talk to her about. She likes writing her letters she said.

It's so hard when your parents get old, sniff. This is the lady that used to take all 4 grandkids camping for most of the summer, every summer. She talks about that every time we get together with the kids. Thank goodness my Dad is going strong. He's turning 80 next month.

Sorry about the tome....Saturday morning musings with my first cup of coffee lol.
Mszue

Post by Mszue »

madamimadam wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:06 pm I love your story and am happy to welcome you and The Great Toe to our board! ::crylaugh::
Thanks madamimadam.....and thank you for your amazing treasure trove....it is an amazing resource for news-starved glamberts! :) When you told your story of your toe break I just had to jump in!
Mszue

Post by Mszue »

svca wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:36 am Mszue, can I come and live with you on your little island? Getting away from the US for just a little bit sounds like heaven.

Between the orange one and my job I'm going to give myself an ulcer. ::angry::

I miss being able to rant and rave to my Mom. She's 77 and I've given up being able to talk to her. I called her a couple of weeks ago and mentioned being stressed, and she asked why?? She says "you're never stressed" "what do you have to be stressed about"? She knows I hate the orange one, and that I'm losing my job, but apparently forgot or didn't connect the 2 as reasons for stress? Not quite sure, but she's come to a point where, unless it involves her very limited little world, it doesn't register. Sigh...she used to be my confidant, pretty much my best friend, but that time has gone. She complains about the grandkids not calling her, then when my daughter calls her from Japan, she tries to get her off the phone, quickly...because she just doesn't know what to talk to her about. She likes writing her letters she said.

It's so hard when your parents get old, sniff. This is the lady that used to take all 4 grandkids camping for most of the summer, every summer. She talks about that every time we get together with the kids. Thank goodness my Dad is going strong. He's turning 80 next month.

Sorry about the tome....Saturday morning musings with my first cup of coffee lol.
Hey svca...it sounds like you are just having one of those seasons...this too shall pass. This little island is full of ex-pat US draft dodgers from back in Viet Nam days :) I lived in Alaska for a few years so have lots of American friends too....You would love a getaway here....My Arkansas friends are always talking of moving here but it never happens...:(

I have been semi-retired for a few years now and it is lovely....it will feel odd for a time....but then you will come up with some sort of entrepreneurial idea and you will find it the best thing in the world. Or get more politically active and see if that makes you feel more useful...depends on your financial security when it comes to that. But I am sorry your are having to go through this right now...It must feel like you are losing your Mom over and over....very tough.

Sounds like you need a QAL fix....:)
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

My grandkids got a surprise tonight and I have it all on video... ::grin::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk4hzPwIjIY
"It is what it is!"
svca

Post by svca »

Aw, that's so sweet, Marie...is it just me or have your grandkids gotten so big !!!!!

I swear the last time you posted a pic they were half that size lol.

Return to “Let's Talk!”