***Have-At-It Never-Ending Gabfest***

This is where everything is happening in real time!!!!
Carmi

Post by Carmi »

rustycat » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:34 pm wrote:
Paula » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:44 am wrote:I'm just ready for era 4. With the talent that Adam's got, he SHOULD be a big star, because he can really sing.
he IS a big star....just not a big radio star (in some countries)

not intending to be so cranky...I just feel like so many Adam fans aren't enjoying or fully appreciating the excellent, interesting, varied, big career he has because they are disappointed that his career isn't something else/even bigger

Noooo....I am am fully enjoying his varied career. I am frustrated with what US "radio" is doing with him. I am NOT disappointed that his career is something else. I accept what he wants to do with it totally. I love that he has branched out to many other avenues. It is just that he is a singer and enjoys singing. If US radio, imo, could give him a better shake at playing his music at a better time slot and adding him to playlists, then maybe, just maybe he would be a bigger star. IMO, he deserves it over all the autotuned junk out there.
rustycat

Post by rustycat »

adam didn't get more singles dropped in the USA because the results from GT and ALN didn't warrant it. Its not a conspiracy, its not the USA rejecting him or PDs not appreciating him, or the label not supporting him. They put all of their marbles in GT. Derulo had a monster lead single hit his last era (in fact it kept on getting so much airplay that it adversely affected his follow ups as radio wasn't letting it go)...that is a lot of $$$ in the bank to finance the follow up singles....they released two more after that that didn't do much but climbed into the teens on pop radio with little promo-- his latest single is basically the lead for his new greatest hits collection that is dropping soon (or just did, not sure)...Derulo also had a prior track record of 2-3 big hits from his prior era and 3-4 big hits before that. In short, the performance of prior singles justified the expenditure to drop future singles. Same with Katy... Adam doesn't have that track record. If GT had been a bigger hit in the us I suspect that they would have tried another single after ALN. But it wasn't and the budget was gone.

re hourly spin deals? again, he doesn't have the track record at radio to be able to get such a deal nor does he have a big enough fan base here for one. No artist with his level of commerciality is getting hourly spin deals. He isn't "new" so he doesn't qualify for programs like "on the verge". The best Warner was able to do was get GT a few hourly deals on some big pop and hac stations upon release. Again, given how bad things went at radio trespassing era, was amazing...good on them!

singing has not been valued at commercial radio in a long long time....Max singles miss as often as they hit....he is prolific so he has a lot of hits. But lots of his songs for lots of his artist have not become huge hits. He is not a guarantee of radio success.

TOH spawned a world tour because it did well enough, and GT was a big enough hit in the usa and elsewhere, for Adam to decide to tour it. If GT hadn't gotten the radio play it did I doubt he would have toured in the usa. I wasn't inferring that it was financed or otherwise supported by the label. GT definitely raised his profile in the USA and even more so in places like OZ (no doubt his x factor gig is in large part because he had a recent big hit there). The performance of GT -- or any single -- is far far far far more important in this day and age than the album as a whole. Adam needed a hit. He needed radio play. He got that. Would have been nice if he got more. But he got what he needed. Also, GT was not a victim of "only being played in the middle of the night" syndrome (and it was added at well over 80/90% of the pop and hac radio panels). It got to top 20 on pop airplay. That's a lot of spins. And it had solid AI. It was in heavy rotation during daytime and evening hours at big influential stations like z100, kiis, wbbm, wksc, and the san Francisco stations. It wasn't relegated to the overnight bin at either pop or hac radio. It would have been great if GT was as big a hit here as it was in placed like OZ or the Netherlands, or Poland or South Africa or wherever...Warner worked it hard and worked it for a long time...having basically been off radio for 3 years, and almost in his mid-30s, Adam and his team deserve huge props for doing as well as they did this era.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Carmi » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:30 pm wrote:
rustycat » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:34 pm wrote:
Paula » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:44 am wrote:I'm just ready for era 4. With the talent that Adam's got, he SHOULD be a big star, because he can really sing.

not intending to be so cranky...I just feel like so many Adam fans aren't enjoying or fully appreciating the excellent, interesting, varied, big career he has because they are disappointed that his career isn't something else/even bigger

Noooo....I am am fully enjoying his varied career. I am frustrated with what US "radio" is doing with him. I am NOT disappointed that his career is something else. I accept what he wants to do with it totally. I love that he has branched out to many other avenues. It is just that he is a singer and enjoys singing. If US radio, imo, could give him a better shake at playing his music at a better time slot and adding him to playlists, then maybe, just maybe he would be a bigger star. IMO, he deserves it over all the autotuned junk out there.
YES! This was exactly what I was trying to say!!!! Thank you, Carmi.
August 26, 2009. June 18, 2010. July 12, 2014. March 25, 2016. July 20, 2017.
rustycat

Post by rustycat »

my point was simply that GT was added to playlists, and was played during waking hours and was supported by all sort of radio stations big and small in the usa...it maxed out its chart position not due to pds and radio failing to support it, or lack of promo, but because the sales and streaming response in the usa was not commensurate with its radio play.
misswood

Post by misswood »

Happy Hotdog Day, everybody! ::party::
Hrithika
MTT Mod
MTT Mod

Post by Hrithika »

::hello:: ::grin::
misswood

Post by misswood »

This board needs a wiener smiley.
Paula

Post by Paula »

misswood » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:18 pm wrote:Happy Hotdog Day, everybody! ::party::
HA! I actually had a hot dog for lunch today!
misswood

Post by misswood »

Paula » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:59 pm wrote:
misswood » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:18 pm wrote:Happy Hotdog Day, everybody! ::party::
Roses are red, violets are blue,... you had one wiener, but I had two ::openmouthsmile::
Paula

Post by Paula »

misswood » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:11 pm wrote:
Paula » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:59 pm wrote:
Roses are red, violets are blue,... you had one wiener, but I had two ::openmouthsmile::
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ::hysterical:: ::friendsLOL::
sandra

Post by sandra »

rustycat » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:34 pm wrote:

Of course he is a star and you have every right to be cranky, Rusty.

On this site, there are a lot of young people who still remember the fan-competitiveness of American Idol. They're somehow insulted that Adam isn't Carrie.

But more mature fans are looking at the bigger picture. There are so many successful singers that have lasted for decades, and that's what Adam will be.
svca

Post by svca »

I love the diversity of Adam's career... and that it's taking him all over the world.

Love it ! ::clap:: ::clap::
Carmi

Post by Carmi »

sandra » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:42 am wrote:

On this site, there are a lot of young people who still remember the fan-competitiveness of American Idol. They're somehow insulted that Adam isn't Carrie.

But more mature fans are looking at the bigger picture. There are so many successful singers that have lasted for decades, and that's what Adam will be.

No one has said that he is not a star. The discussion was that we/I feel that he should be a bigger star than what he is. Seven years in and his unbelievable work ethic should have done that for him. It is not his fault that that has not happened.

Actually, this forum skews older fans with a very small sprinkling of young people that are vocal.

For me, I never even think about Carrie let alone reflect back to American Idol competitiveness. Idol has no bearing whatsoever for me. MY focus is US radio. I wish they would have embraced him harder from the get go. UK radio is not much better. However, I am only addressing the inconsistencies with US radio because that is where I live and that is what I see.

I have also said that I believe that he will always find opportunities for himself or create them. I have NO doubt that he will be entertaining for decades.

I am not "insulted" that he is not Carrie. Far from it. I don't want him to be Carrie. I want him to be Adam. I want him to do what HE wants to do. Whatever that may be. I enjoy every facet of his diverse career.

Again...my gripe was with US radio.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Carmi » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:37 am wrote:
sandra » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:42 am wrote:

No one has said that he is not a star. The discussion was that we/I feel that he should be a bigger star than what he is. Seven years in and his unbelievable work ethic should have done that for him. It is not his fault that that has not happened.

Actually, this forum skews older fans with a very small sprinkling of young people that are vocal.

For me, I never even think about Carrie let alone reflect back to American Idol competitiveness. Idol has no bearing whatsoever for me. MY focus is US radio. I wish they would have embraced him harder from the get go. UK radio is not much better. However, I am only addressing the inconsistencies with US radio because that is where I live and that is what I see.

I have also said that I believe that he will always find opportunities for himself or create them. I have NO doubt that he will be entertaining for decades.

I am not "insulted" that he is not Carrie. Far from it. I don't want him to be Carrie. I want him to be Adam. I want him to do what HE wants to do. Whatever that may be. I enjoy every facet of his diverse career.

Again...my gripe was with US radio.
EXACTLY. This is how I feel too. I wasn't even thinking American Idol when I made my comments.
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

I'm baffled too that Adam is not a bigger star, but I console myself with the thought that there are many other great artists---whether they be actors, writers, singers, or whatever---who are overshadowed commercially by much lesser talents.

On the other hand, being a huge star comes with numerous pitfalls. While Adam is probably better equipped emotionally to handle mega-success than many other celebrities, I'm not sure that his life would necessarily be happier if he were earning, say, ten times what he makes right now and being plastered over the tabloids every five minutes.

Yes, he works bloody hard, but from what I can tell, he also enjoys a pretty wonderful lifestyle and career without the stresses that have ruined so many commercially bigger stars' lives.
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

Well I hear alot of young ppl say he is too old. I mean Pop is a younger persons game. Alot of advertisers on US Pop Radio try to attract a younger audience. GT was a big hit on US Pop Radio last year, made Top 20. His biggest song on the radio since WWFM I get some frustrated. But Adam ain't made for the typical pop listiner. He is not easily digested. He is complex. Alot of his pop music from TP and TOH is pretty complex. But you take a step back. And realize he is very succesful in variety of ways. He may not be the biggest music star in the world, or mass media star like Taylor. But in this day in age a mass media star like MJ is kinda impossible. These days with so much media and information, people just filter it. SO I think its different these days. Adam has steady success, and I Think that is better, then huge megastardom, then being kinda irrelvant. Adams going to have a long and succesful career. And I don't think it was ever predicated on Adam being a great singer. IF were talking about US Pop Radio. Hits don't happen because someone has a great voice, just saying. I mean look at how may hits Taylor or Katy has haha.
glrm8892

Post by glrm8892 »

I don't post much, just read. But I think Adam is a HUGE star this year. He's not the come n go type, but enduring. And will just get bigger and bigger. Because he works his ass off and truly has a phenomenal voice. Everything he touches is perfect. What did I read today, "mega international superstar" . Sounds great to me! I frequently watch replays of AI and earlier work. I'll bet sales on his earlier albums start to go up, when folks realize the caliber of his work. That said, very few stars have 100% audience that loves them and what they do. To me, there is room for all. I so appreciate and trust Adam's honesty. He won't ever sell out. Just my thoughts, I've been so thrilled and happy for him this year. He really can do anything he wants....except maybe some things ::heart:: ::kiss:: ::heart::
sandyrk

Post by sandyrk »

So nice to hear someone new posting so positively!! ::highfive::

I think that Adam is enjoying his varied career. For me, when I walk into a store that is playing his music, I become overjoyed. It wasn't always that way...

So, we just keep on keeping on... ::yessss::
sandyrk

Post by sandyrk »

Oh, I just remembered that, in the heat of all the good things that happened with our Isle of Wight and Brussels trip, I neglected to post my friend's vlog about how it was for him coming though Miami.

As a person from the U.S., I was particularly ashamed of how he was treated by Immigrations officials, after he had followed all the rules and gotten both a passport and visa waiver. While we had wonderful customs experiences at other points, because we were with him, his experience reminded me of the subtle or not-so-subtle racism that persists, when it is just so, so much easier to be kind.

As the person who organized his trip and was so excited to do it, it just broke my heart and made me angry. And this vlog barely scratches the service of what they put him through...

so here, in his own words: (Queen fans will notice that he put his piano version of In My Defense in the background ::hugkissblush:: )

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EihdDR_J-Y[/bbvideo]
sandyrk

Post by sandyrk »

Where is everybody on this thread? Laughing at the RNC? It is pretty funny...and pathetic... ::zzzzz:: ::zzzzz::

But to distract you, here, finally, is the start of our trip to the Isle of Wight...it was one funny, interesting place...please enjoy:

[bbvideo=560,315]http://parallelmusicverse.blogspot.com/ ... um-p1.html[/bbvideo]

Return to “Let's Talk!”