***Have-At-It Never-Ending Gabfest***

This is where everything is happening in real time!!!!
Love2Lurk

Post by Love2Lurk »

just adding....I was hoping TOH...would be a summer song as well ::wub::

IMO...the...'high'.....would not have been a problem.......many songs refer to getting high...being high ::whistle:: ::rolleyes::

John Denver's.....Rocky Mountain High....is an awesome song !!! LOL !!!

And....now the new Colorado laws....TOH ...would have been awesome ::thumbsup::

oh well ::rolleyes::
[i][color=indigo][b]It is what it is !!! It ain't that deep !!!![/b][/color][/i]
Carmi

Post by Carmi »

We will never know why TOH was not released as a summer song last year. Frustrating to say the least. ::livid:: And there is no hope that it will be a song of summer this year either. The era is well over. Ghost Town was kept going for six months on US radio. Why? I don't understand the logic. Another Lonely Night was also dropped to US radio in October and was given no promo at all. This era didn't make sense to me. TOH album was without a doubt loaded with single potential for radio. Why not just keep dropping song after song to US radio? Did Warner use all the $$$ for promo just for Ghost Town?

Derulo, who had almost an exact time frame with his album, and was with Warner, had many songs go to US radio. Why not Adam? Not all of Derulo's songs were successful, but he was at least played on radio for people to hear them and maybe spur them to search the album and buy it. Mind you, I am in the US and that is the perspective that I am seeing things through. Having said that, I do know that TOH was sent to Aus radio and I believe Poland too. It just didn't resonate there and perhaps that is why it never made it to US radio. I'm just making a guess here.

If I am frustrated, I can't imagine how Adam feels. A whole Max M album and all he got out of it was Ghost Town? How sad is that? It is a great album as was Trespassing. I am truly hoping that Max can get it right the next go round.

I love that Adam is diversifying himself with RHPS, modeling, QAL and other avenues. He does say that he is an "entertainer" and entertainment takes many forms. Not just singing. He is an explosion of creativity that can allow him to do many, many things and not let him be at the mercy of radio playing him. He is a smart dude. ::thumbup:: He will always come out on top. He will either find or create opportunities for himself. ::yessss::
hotouthere

Post by hotouthere »

Carmi,
Yes, it is frustrating that TOH didn’t get more attention and that the title song didn’t get added to radio. Based on other songs I have heard on the radio, drug references in TOH are tame in comparison. When you realize that the words mean high on love or some other adrenalin rush inducing activity for the first time, it’s meaning becomes a whole different matter.

I was reading something earlier today about albums that didn’t reach their anticipated levels. It was about Adam’s album as well as Hilary Duff and Kelly Clarkson. They all had at least one strong single that climbed up to a respectable position on the USA charts but then their second singles fizzled and the albums quickly disappeared from the public consciousness yet were full of hits where their individual fan bases were concerned. In Adam’s case, his album was appreciated far beyond American borders and probably sold much better than reflected by USA charts. You really have to blame it on our PDs who only play a very limited number of songs on the radio these days and who seem to be playing songs that are extremely catchy, unique, and with infectious hooks (by not necessarily great singers). Ghost Town had unique elements but because Adam isn’t one of the 20-30 most sought after radio sweethearts, the PDs didn’t put it on full rotation and many stations barely played it once or twice a day. With hundreds of artists putting out music and radio only playing a very limited number of songs by a very exclusive list of artists…it is ridiculously difficult to get music played. The only ones that seam to be an exception are the young teenyboppers who are fresh new artists.

Honestly, I have totally given up on radio…can’t stand the DJs and their games and self indulgent nonsense. I subscribed to Spotify shortly after TOH came out and really enjoy it. I can listen on my computer at home, on my cell phone and my office computer as well, no DJ’s and all the music I care to listen to. After reading the article mentioned above, I listened to Hilary Duff’s and Kelly Clarkson’s last albums for the first time. Hilary has a great voice but the songs were not very unique or memorable. I loved Kelly’s album and wish I had taken the time to listen to it a long time ago.

Unless Adam can come up with songs that are extremely unique and ear wormy, they just are not likely to be played on the radio. The one thing we can be assured of is that his vocals will be excellent and the songs will be a great collection that his fans will enjoy listening to long after the teeny bopper songs and careers have faded! We just need to work around the plague called USA Top 40 radio!
Paula

Post by Paula »

hotouthere » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:29 pm wrote:You really have to blame it on our PDs who only play a very limited number of songs on the radio these days and who seem to be playing songs that are extremely catchy, unique, and with infectious hooks (by not necessarily great singers). Ghost Town had unique elements but because Adam isn’t one of the 20-30 most sought after radio sweethearts, the PDs didn’t put it on full rotation and many stations barely played it once or twice a day. With hundreds of artists putting out music and radio only playing a very limited number of songs by a very exclusive list of artists…it is ridiculously difficult to get music played. The only ones that seam to be an exception are the young teenyboppers who are fresh new artists.

Honestly, I have totally given up on radio…can’t stand the DJs and their games and self indulgent nonsense. I subscribed to Spotify shortly after TOH came out and really enjoy it. I can listen on my computer at home, on my cell phone and my office computer as well, no DJ’s and all the music I care to listen to. After reading the article mentioned above, I listened to Hilary Duff’s and Kelly Clarkson’s last albums for the first time. Hilary has a great voice but the songs were not very unique or memorable. I loved Kelly’s album and wish I had taken the time to listen to it a long time ago.

Unless Adam can come up with songs that are extremely unique and ear wormy, they just are not likely to be played on the radio. The one thing we can be assured of is that his vocals will be excellent and the songs will be a great collection that his fans will enjoy listening to long after the teeny bopper songs and careers have faded! We just need to work around the plague called USA Top 40 radio!
I'm with you on that. I can't stand to listen to radio these days, because it's the same 10 - 20 songs all day long. And most of the time, those songs SUCK. The artists can't sing worth a damn, and they're usually annoying. That's what frustrates me so much. Adam CAN sing, and there is so much potential for him to have a hit, but he can't seem to catch a break on US radio.
August 26, 2009. June 18, 2010. July 12, 2014. March 25, 2016. July 20, 2017.
Carmi

Post by Carmi »

hotoutthere,

I agree with you that the so called "drug" references in TOH are absurd. It's not even a drug reference at all. So many songs new and old are more blatant in their drug references. For example... Habits by Tove Lo. Happy by Pharrell, Light My Fire, The Doors, Purple Haze, Hendrix, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, The Beatles and on and on. So many. Snoop Dog has made a career out of them. ::rofl:: Even Rocky Mountain High, as loves2lurk pointed out. To me, it would be nuts if that is one of the reasons why a US PD wouldn't playlist it. As far as I'm concerned, there is a special place in hell for PD's. ::crylaugh:: ::hysterical::

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but, if you watch when he did Good Morning America last summer and sang TOH. He sang "the medication running through my BRAIN was you". I found that so strange. He sang it in every chorus. It wasn't like he messed up the lyrics, which he sometimes does. He was purposely singing brain and not veins. I wonder if he knew already that the song would have a problem with radio play here? And that was why it was serviced to Aus, which is a more progressive and liberal country as far as their radio goes? It's something to think about. Maybe it was their plan to blow it up in Aus and then have it spread to Asia and Europe. Bypassing the US all together? Who knows? Moot point now though.

The article you were reading about albums and their anticipation level sounds really interesting. I would love to read it too.

You know, after seven years of stanning Adam, and loving every minute of it I might add, it just gets to me why he is not more successful. Yes, he lives in a mansion, yes, he has millions, yes, he drives a Bentley, but you know what? It should be more imo. He is talented beyond compare and that voice is once in a generation. He should not have to work so hard for his place in the industry. Heck, Avicii is only a DJ twisting knobs and pushing buttons and his LA mansion is $15 million as compared to Adam's $3 million. ::no:: Like what is up with that??? ::whut:: He doesn't even sing!

Often times, I do think that Adam is way too talented for Pop Star and Top 40. I know that's what he wants to be and I support him in that dream as best I can. I go to shows and buy his albums and stream his songs. It's all I really can do as a fan. He is just so much better than a lot of the stuff you hear on Top 40. His songs are also pretty deep and you have to have some semblance of intelligence to get them. Not all of them. But most of them. Do people really want such deep thoughtful songs on Top 40? Hard to say. So, I like you, hope that Max can just put together some hooky, poppy songs for him. Dumb him down, so to speak, if he wants success on radio. If stupid shit like...werk, werk, werk,werk werk is what it takes. Then so be it.
hotouthere

Post by hotouthere »

Carmi » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:51 pm wrote:hotoutthere,

I agree with you that the so called "drug" references in TOH are absurd. It's not even a drug reference at all. So many songs new and old are more blatant in their drug references. For example... Habits by Tove Lo. Happy by Pharrell, Light My Fire, The Doors, Purple Haze, Hendrix, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, The Beatles and on and on. So many. Snoop Dog has made a career out of them. ::rofl:: Even Rocky Mountain High, as loves2lurk pointed out. To me, it would be nuts if that is one of the reasons why a US PD wouldn't playlist it. As far as I'm concerned, there is a special place in hell for PD's. ::crylaugh:: ::hysterical::

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but, if you watch when he did Good Morning America last summer and sang TOH. He sang "the medication running through my BRAIN was you". I found that so strange. He sang it in every chorus. It wasn't like he messed up the lyrics, which he sometimes does. He was purposely singing brain and not veins. I wonder if he knew already that the song would have a problem with radio play here? And that was why it was serviced to Aus, which is a more progressive and liberal country as far as their radio goes? It's something to think about. Maybe it was their plan to blow it up in Aus and then have it spread to Asia and Europe. Bypassing the US all together? Who knows? Moot point now though.

The article you were reading about albums and their anticipation level sounds really interesting. I would love to read it too.

You know, after seven years of stanning Adam, and loving every minute of it I might add, it just gets to me why he is not more successful. Yes, he lives in a mansion, yes, he has millions, yes, he drives a Bentley, but you know what? It should be more imo. He is talented beyond compare and that voice is once in a generation. He should not have to work so hard for his place in the industry. Heck, Avicii is only a DJ twisting knobs and pushing buttons and his LA mansion is $15 million as compared to Adam's $3 million. ::no:: Like what is up with that??? ::whut:: He doesn't even sing!

Often times, I do think that Adam is way too talented for Pop Star and Top 40. I know that's what he wants to be and I support him in that dream as best I can. I go to shows and buy his albums and stream his songs. It's all I really can do as a fan. He is just so much better than a lot of the stuff you hear on Top 40. His songs are also pretty deep and you have to have some semblance of intelligence to get them. Not all of them. But most of them. Do people really want such deep thoughtful songs on Top 40? Hard to say. So, I like you, hope that Max can just put together some hooky, poppy songs for him. Dumb him down, so to speak, if he wants success on radio. If stupid shit like...werk, werk, werk,werk werk is what it takes. Then so be it.
Great post! Totally agree ::thumbsup:: ! ::highfive::
hotouthere

Post by hotouthere »

Carmi,

Guess it was more like someone's blog post. Found it for you in my history!

http://www.albumconfessions.com/2016/06 ... mbert.html
Carmi

Post by Carmi »

hotouthere » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:13 pm wrote:Carmi,

Guess it was more like someone's blog post. Found it for you in my history!

http://www.albumconfessions.com/2016/06 ... mbert.html

Thanks for posting this. ::huggy:: What a good article. The person knows their stuff. ::thumbup:: I agree so much that TOH album should still be on the charts. For such a great album to come out in June and basically in affect be dead by October is ridiculous imo. You wonder sometimes how some artists keep going with such disappointments. ::cryblownose:: The music industry is not for sissies, That's for sure.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

Let the children teach us!!!!

realericarenee
Taken at the protest in NOLA. I love this❤️

"It is what it is!"
Love2Lurk

Post by Love2Lurk »

madamimadam » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:02 pm wrote:Let the children teach us!!!!

realericarenee
Taken at the protest in NOLA. I love this❤️

Isn't that the truth ::thumbup::

The best lessons can come from children's songs.....

Red yellow black or white.....we are all precious in his sight ::grouphug::

Beautiful pic Marie....thanks for sharing ::flowers::

We in the US need to get it together ::crying::

Been a rough time ....don't know what is the matter with some folks ::crying::
[i][color=indigo][b]It is what it is !!! It ain't that deep !!!![/b][/color][/i]
sandyrk

Post by sandyrk »

Yes definitely...children seem to be our best teachers. Some of the stuff on tv right now actually makes me more hopeful.. The conversations between different races right now is encouraging... of course, it takes a heck of a lot more than talk. ::yessss::

For those of you who are Beatles fans, here is our next installment:

[bbvideo=560,315]http://parallelmusicverse.blogspot.com/ ... -love.html[/bbvideo]
Tiki
MTT Mod
MTT Mod

Post by Tiki »

sandyrk » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:28 am wrote:Yes definitely...children seem to be our best teachers. Some of the stuff on tv right now actually makes me more hopeful.. The conversations between different races right now is encouraging... of course, it takes a heck of a lot more than talk. ::yessss::

[bbvideo=560,315]http://parallelmusicverse.blogspot.com/ ... -love.html[/bbvideo]
Thank you Sandyrk. ::flowers:: I enjoyed reading your blog. So nice that you got to see the Abbey Road Walkway and Studio. I have seen pictures & videos from inside the studio when the Beatles were recording and am not surprised that visitors are not allowed to actually go inside. However, you did get to enjoy a piece of Rock n' Roll history. ::grin::
Love2Lurk

Post by Love2Lurk »

sandyrk » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:28 am wrote:Yes definitely...children seem to be our best teachers. Some of the stuff on tv right now actually makes me more hopeful.. The conversations between different races right now is encouraging... of course, it takes a heck of a lot more than talk. ::yessss::

Thanks sandyrk....love your posts & enjoyed the Beatles parts as well ::thumbsup::

It is funny the other night I happened upon The Smithsonian Channel....

There was a show about history of Buckingham Palace....

There was a little bit about ...Queen playing there at a Garden Party.....

Dr. Bri on the roof of the palace....playing....God Save the Queen ::thumbsup::

here is the performance from you tube ...... pretty cool ::thumbsup::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4nsifplvpk
sandyrk

Post by sandyrk »

[Thanks sandyrk....love your posts & enjoyed the Beatles parts as well ::thumbsup::

It is funny the other night I happened upon The Smithsonian Channel....

There was a show about history of Buckingham Palace....

There was a little bit about ...Queen playing there at a Garden Party.....

Dr. Bri on the roof of the palace....playing....God Save the Queen ::thumbsup::

here is the performance from you tube ...... pretty cool ::thumbsup::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4nsifplvpk[/quote]

That is just the coolest thing ever!!!
::banana:: ::banana::

When we were there, German kept remarking about that performance and he was trying to figure out the angle so we could figure where Brian must have been standing. A diehard Queenie, through and through.

I really wanted to see it, and now you let me!!! ::highfive:: ::huggy::

And Tiki, yes, Abbey Road Studios was very cool, probably more so for me than for my young sidekick, since it was before his time... ::haha::
Hrithika
MTT Mod
MTT Mod

Post by Hrithika »

If you want to have a concert again in this slow period this man have done a YT
compilation perfect for us who miss a concert day fun
posted in here too ::hello:: and it Padua thread

Martin Skála

Queen + Adam Lambert - 25.06.2016 Piazzola sul Brenta, Padua, Italy - FULL SHOW
[bbvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/8u2FOYJ7934[/bbvideo]

Publicerades den 11 juli 2016
I have downloaded *all* available Youtube videos covering the Padua concert (over 190 videos!) and decided to create a complete compilation using the best possible sources for each of the songs. I managed to cover 98% of the concert, basically only a couple of very short breaks between songs are missing. I used my own audio recording to overdub the videos (it's not perfect as I was standing in the golden circle too much to the right and the sound wasn't perfect there).

Please bear in mind this is just an amateur compilation (all authors are listed in the ending credits) and my only goal is to please all the fans who attended that particular concert. Italy is one of my favorite countries and Queen have a great fanbase there. Btw. the singing is not mine - there were some crazy fans around me :-)

P.S. Don't forget to visit my QueenConcerts.com website! :-)

Download full video in MP4 here:
https://www.ulozto.net/!Ljmh8XjMs/queen ... 1456062986

Concert info and my photos:
http://www.queenconcerts.com/detail/liv ... italy.html

Setlist:

0:00:00 - 01. Flash's Theme
0:02:03 - 02. The Hero
0:03:18 - 03. One Vision
0:08:00 - 04. Hammer to Fall
0:11:03 - 05. Seven Seas of Rhye
0:12:27 - 06. Stone Cold Crazy
0:15:15 - 07. Another One Bites The Dust
0:18:48 - 08. Fat Bottomed Girls
0:25:45 - 09. Play the Game
0:28:25 - 10. Killer Queen
0:33:50 - 11. Don't Stop Me Now
0:39:21 - 12. Somebody to Love
0:46:33 - 13. Brian's selfie stick
0:49:56 - 14. Love Of My Life
0:53:48 - 15. A Kind Of Magic
0:59:45 - 16. Drum Battle
1:02:44 - 17. Under Pressure
1:07:43 - 18. Crazy Little Thing Called Love
1:11:33 - 19. I Want to Break Free
1:16:55 - 20. I Want It All
1:22:30 - 21. Who Wants To Live Forever
1:26:46 - 22. Last Horizon
1:32:30 - 23. Guitar Solo
1:34:56 - 24. Tie Your Mother Down
1:39:56 - 25. Bohemian Rhapsody
1:45:42 - 26. Radio Ga Ga
1:53:54 - 27. We Will Rock You
1:56:33 - 28. We Are the Champions
2:01:40 - 29. God Save the Queen
rustycat

Post by rustycat »

Every time one of Adam's singles doesn't become a monster hit fans like to blame it on a supposed lack of promo. But that really wasn't the case with GT and ALN. The label spent a lot of money on promo for GT (which also served as promo for the album); he did a long in studio radio tour, radio show performances and appearances, iheart pool party appearance, iheart concert, appearances on every major and not so major syndicated radio show (eg at40, weekend throwdown, ohp, snol), spotify sessions, tv performances -- gma concert, today show, ellen, fallon, corden, Meyers, Kelly, the talk. And this is just in the USA -- he did tv performances and appearances, radio events, radio in studios, in the UK, OZ, NZ, Poland, Netherlands, China, Japan, Canada and elsewhere. All of that comes out of the promotional budget (and of course there were other types of promo like articles, features and/or covers in Billboard, RS, OUt, people, attitude, fault, and major newspapers). The only thing it was lacking was a big USA prime time performance, but really, there are few such options in the May-August time period -- and the options that were available (AGT for example) have not been big sales drivers. But GT was a hit . It was a bigger hit in some overseas markets than the USA because those markets had better sales and streaming responses. It wasn't the PDs holding GT back from becoming a bigger hit in the USA -- it was a relatively tepid sales and streaming here. The iTunes position for GT remained low compared to other songs with similar or less AI/chart position. the label pushed GT for a long time -- and to its credit and the credit of PDs and the label it stayed on the chart for a long time and got to top 20 on both hac and chr airplay. But with its total AI it should have streamed and sold better. Lots of songs get into the low 20s/teens due to PD support, a spin deal, label push etc and then get dropped by the PDS when the sales and streaming don't strongly respond. That happened with all of Tori Kelly's singles. Happens every day. GT was in heavy rotation at the biggest, most influential pop stations in the biggest cities (ny, la, Chicago, sf). Given what happened Trespassing era that was nothing short of a miracle. Often what happens is a few of the big stations support a song, other stations wait and see what happens with sales and streaming as the airplay expands. If no strong response they never hop on the train. That's what happened in the USA. GT had everything it needed to be a bigger hit here, but it didn't connect enough on a sales and streaming level even though it had more than enough radio airplay to do so. In other countries it was a different story -- in OZ and other countries the sales and streaming were strong. Different tastes I guess.

As for ALN, it had promo -- all of those xmas radio shows were for GT and ALN...it got a good number of first week adds...it got a start. And then, crickets on sales and streaming. Fans complain, well it had no TV in the USA. But it had big tv performances in other countries -- and crickets there also. The tv did not goose sales significantly. When radio does not see a response from tv performances or increased airplay, the reduce airplay. ALN just didn't connect anywhere. It was a bad single choice. It happens.

But TOH was a successful era and a successful album. It was well reviewed, spawned a hit single and a world wide tour. Only a VERY small number of albums have lives of a year or more and spawn multiple hit singles. I'm not sure why fans think its the norm for albums to have 12-18 month lives -- that is the exception not the rule.

rant over :)
Paula

Post by Paula »

I'm just ready for era 4. With the talent that Adam's got, he SHOULD be a big star, because he can really sing.
rustycat

Post by rustycat »

Paula » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:44 am wrote:I'm just ready for era 4. With the talent that Adam's got, he SHOULD be a big star, because he can really sing.
he IS a big star....just not a big radio star (in some countries)

not intending to be so cranky...I just feel like so many Adam fans aren't enjoying or fully appreciating the excellent, interesting, varied, big career he has because they are disappointed that his career isn't something else/even bigger
Paula

Post by Paula »

rustycat » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:34 pm wrote:
Paula » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:44 am wrote:I'm just ready for era 4. With the talent that Adam's got, he SHOULD be a big star, because he can really sing.
he IS a big star....just not a big radio star (in some countries)
That's the thing, though. He deserves to be. Because unlike some of the people that you hear on radio who have use autotune to sound good, Adam doesn't need that. He can actually sing.
Carmi

Post by Carmi »

Hey there ::hello:: rustycat Don't rant. It will give you wrinkles. ::haha:: I will discuss with you though. ::flowers::

I know and realize that there are not a whole lot of albums that stay on the charts for 12-18 months. Some of the ones that do imo have singers with shitty voices that don't warrant it. They are just the sweetheart of the month. More flash than substance. Adam, to me, however HAS the voice that warrants his albums to have legs and staying power. After seven years of him singing his heart out and working his ass off, "I" am frustrated for him. As I said up thread somewhere...TOH album dropped in June and by October it was done. That is four freaking months! For a full on Max M album, that is absurd to me. Has Max no more clout with US radio? Or just no more clout where Adam is concerned? He gets song after song that he did with Katy and Swifty put to radio. I honestly don't understand what gives with that.

Why is he not cut the side deal of hourly spins like some of the female darlings? Why is it him who does gracious interviews with US radio DJ's and have them only play him by and large in the overnight time slot? Why has US radio not embraced him as our own national treasure of a voice? Why does it have to be so hard for him?

I know you say that TOH spawned a world tour. Did it? Or did Adam decide to tour it himself? Much like he did with FYE. That was all on his dime. I'm pretty sure that he financed TOH tour with no monetary input from WBR. I've always been lead to believe that the label doesn't do that. That it is the artist who tours themselves.

My question is...if ALN was a bad single choice as you say, then why not keep dropping songs to radio? (like I said, I am in US and that is the perspective that I am coming from) That was done for Jason. Katy also had song after song dropped to radio from Prizm too. Another Max album collab. Why the stopping of dropping Adam singles to radio if one does not resonate? How come he does not get that consideration as others do? I'm sure you can see the inconsistency. Is it money? What is it? Why is there money from other labels to send multiple songs to radio for their artists and WBR can't do that for Adam? ::argh::

I am in the camp that it would have been nice to have ALN performed on US TV. Maybe it would have made a difference or maybe not. Still would have been nice though.

US radio, to me, is in its death throws. The younger generation has basically abandoned them for their own Ipods, cd's, dvd's and streaming. DJ's are no longer DJ's to me. They get handed a playlist and they play it like automatons. The creativity of a fresh, sassy, personable DJ are pretty much over. How could radio be so blind and not see what is happening to it? It will imo, be about two more generations and radio as we know it will cease to exist. I think a totally new format will happen for people to hear and play their favorite artist and level the playing field to just cater to the sweethearts and flavor of the month poptart.

Return to “Let's Talk!”